By Dennis Kurzon (Ed.), Silvia Adler (Ed.)
This e-book is a suite of articles which take care of adpositions in various languages and from a couple of views. not just does the booklet hide what's usually handled in reviews from a ecu and Semitic orientation - prepositions, however it provides reviews on postpositions, too. the most languages handled within the assortment are English, French and Hebrew, yet there are articles dedicated to different languages together with Korean, Turkic languages, Armenian, Russian and Ukrainian. Adpositions are taken care of through a few authors from a semantic viewpoint, through others as syntactic devices, and a 3rd staff of authors distinguishes adpositions from the perspective in their pragmatic functionality. This paintings is of curiosity to scholars and researchers in theoretical and utilized linguistics, in addition to to people who have a unique curiosity in any of the languages taken care of.
Read or Download Adpositions: Pragmatic, Semantic and Syntactic Perspectives PDF
Best linguistics books
This energetic advisor introduces the major hand shapes and gestures you want to converse in British signal Language. The illustrations depict either the activities and facial expressions used to signal adequately, whereas the significant other CD-Rom beneficial properties real-life BSL conversations in motion. With those useful instruments, you’ll develop into a professional signer very quickly!
История французской песни данного периода на французском языке. Будет интересно как изучающим французский язык, так и просто интересующимся французской культурой.
- English Lawsuits from William I to Richard I. Volume II: Henry II and Richard I (Nos 347-665)
- Bayesian Natural Language Semantics and Pragmatics (Language, Cognition, and Mind, Volume 2)
- Language, Nation, and State: Identity Politics in a Multilingual Age (Europe in Transition: The NYU European Studies Series)
- Skin Like Milk, Hair of Silk: What Are Similes and Metaphors?
- Cultural Memories: The Geographical Point of View
Additional info for Adpositions: Pragmatic, Semantic and Syntactic Perspectives
Lamiroy (1987) has already shown that many classes of verbs used metaphorically do not tolerate the absolute use: (12) Luc sourit (à Marie)/ *Le destin sourit (à Marie) (Lamiroy 1987: 53). ’ Further on, Lamiroy shows (1993) that the agent complement in passive constructions becomes indispensable when the passive verb is used metaphorically: (13) Plusieurs personnes ont été blesses (Lamiroy 1993: 63). ’ Example (13), says Lamiroy, is acceptable if the action is caused by someone, for instance, but not by his words.
Charolles, M. 1994. Anaphore associative, stéréotype et discours. In L’anaphore associative (as‑ pects linguistiques, psycholinguistiques et automatiques), 67–92. Paris: Klincksieck. Cherchi, L. 1978. L’ellipse comme facteur de cohérence. Langue française 38: 118–128. Choi-Jonin, I. 1998. Anaphore associative dans une prédication simple: Le cas du complément Avec Le N. In Analyse linguistique et approches de l’oral. Recueil d’études offert en hommage à Claire Blanche-Benveniste, M. Bilger, K. Van den Eynde, F.
6. Conclusion The purpose of this paper has been to reduce considerably the contribution of what is taken as unpredictable behavior in the field of French prepositional locutions. This has been made possible by, firstly, showing that not every prepositional sequence sharing the matrix [Preposition – Definite article – Noun – Preposition] is actually a prepositional locution: we have thus established a more precise division between, on the one hand, idiomatic prepositional expressions (compound prepositions and prepositional locutions) and, on the other, free prepositional phrases.